Commercial, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - June 20, 2016
Amazon wind farm clears legal challenge in NC
A lawsuit against North Carolina's environmental department over a 300-MW wind farm being developed by Amazon Web Services Inc. and Iberdrola SA has been thrown out, allowing the project to move forward, for now.
A local couple that lives near the wind power project, which spans Perquimans and Pasquotank counties in eastern North Carolina, had filed suit against the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality related to the permitting process. On June 15, a federal judge dismissed the lawsuit, according to a report from the Triangle Business Journal.
According to the business news publication, the attorney who filed the lawsuit on behalf of the couple said he is working through the possibility of an appeal.
The publication wrote:
But the physical construction of wind farms is just part of the challenge. Regulatory red tape could impact future projects. A North Carolina Senate Committee approved legislation this week that would restrict wind farms if they impact military bases – particularly flight corridors. The measure would also allow permits for wind farms to be denied based on anticipated noise impact and other considerations.
When ground broke on the facility in July 2015 it was hailed as first industrial-scale wind power project in the state. The project, called the Amazon Wind Farm U.S. East, is expected to be the largest wind farm in the Southeast and is expected to be complete by the end of the year.
- Cheap hydro attracts Amazon data centers to Montreal
- Amazon announces 180 MW of new Virginia solar
- Amazon touts new, innovative agreement with Dominion for renewable energy
- Mired in politics, Amazon wind farm fully operational
- Amazon announces three new wind and solar projects
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey