Utilities, Industrial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - October 31, 2016
GM, DTE Energy complete 900-kW solar project
Photo: The completed solar array at General Motors' Warren Transmission plant, provided by DTE Energy.
In partnership with General Motors Co., Detroit-based utility holding company DTE Energy Co. on Oct. 31 announced the completion of a 900-kW solar array at one of the automakers metro Detroit facilities.
The project at GM's Warren Transmission plant is the largest at a GM site in Michigan, and brings the utility's operational solar sites to 28, DTE Energy said in a news release.
GM recently announced its commitment to meet the electricity needs of its global operations with 100% renewable energy by 2050. This goal is part of the company's overall approach to strengthening its business, improving communities and addressing its impact on the climate.
"By partnering with DTE on this solar array, GM is helping bring green energy options to the Warren community," GM Global Manager of Renewable Energy Rob Threlkeld said in a statement. "Projects like these help GM better serve society by reducing environmental impacts."
DTE owns the 2,862-panel array, which was installed on 4.25 acres of a parking lot leased from GM Warren Transmission. The solar array will generate approximately 1.2 million kilowatt hours of electricity per year.
"DTE is proud to be the state's largest investor in solar and wind, having driven investments of $2 billion since 2008," Irene Dimitry, DTE Energy vice president of business and development said in the release. "These investments are helping us reduce greenhouse gases while enabling DTE to continue delivering safe, affordable and reliable energy for our 2.2 million customers. We are excited to be here today to celebrate the completion of this project and our partnership with General Motors."
Editor's note: Threlkeld is a Smart Energy Decisions advisory board member.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Research: The State of Vehicle Fleet Electrification
- The ABCs of Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs)
- How Energy Technology Reduces Consumption and Spend: Fleet Electrification
- Decarbonizing Supply Chains: Collaboration and Renewable Energy Strategies
- Sustainability Strategy: Two Ways to Decarbonize Natural Gas