Commercial, Hydro, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables - December 29, 2016
Cheap hydro attracts Amazon data centers to Montreal
Attracted to the area for its access to low-cost hydro-electric power, Amazon Web Services has opened at least two data centers in Montreal, the Ottowa (Ontario) Citizen recently reported.
The publication reported Dec. 19 that the data centers will provide web-based services to the "Canada region." Teresa Carlson, vice-president of public sector with Amazon Web Services, reportedly told the Citizen that the low cost and availability of hydro power is "ultimately what made Amazon choose Quebec as its Canadian home."
The company's pursuit of clean power corresponds with its previously announced commitment to achieve 100% renewable energy usage for the global AWS infrastructure footprint.
The news, according to the Citizen, is representative of a broader economic growth opportunity for Quebec, which has been courting cloud computing businesses to the region and using its access to cheap renewable energy as key selling point. The publication reported:
A page on the province’s Invest Quebec website spells out the benefits of setting up data centres in the province. It already secured one of the world’s largest data centres from French cloud computing giant OVH in 2013. That investment led to OVH setting up its North American research and development labs in the province in 2016. IBM, Bell Canada, Cogeco Data Services and many others have also recently opened data centres in the province.Data provided to the publication from public utility Hydro Quebec showed that large commercial electricity users pay 5.17 cents per kWh in the province. That compares to around 13 cents per kWh in Ontario, which the Citizen said is the highest rate in Canada.
- Amazon announces 180 MW of new Virginia solar
- Amazon touts new, innovative agreement with Dominion for renewable energy
- Amazon wind farm clears legal challenge in NC
- Mired in politics, Amazon wind farm fully operational
- Amazon opens Colorado’s largest rooftop solar
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey