Commercial, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables - February 16, 2017
Switch opens sustainably designed data center campus
Data center company Switch, which has a demonstrated focus on the environmental impact of its operations, has opened a massive data center campus that will run entirely on renewable energy.
Switch's 2,200-acre campus, known as The Citadel Campus, is located in the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center, right next door to the Tesla Gigafactory, which has been reported as a net-zero energy facility. Switch's campus was designed for up to 7.2 million square feet of data center space and up to 650 MW of power, according to the company's Feb. 13 announcement of its opening.
Surrounded by a 20-foot-high solid concrete wall, Switch said the campus is a technology fortress that is unsurpassed for security, reliability, connectivity, and energy sustainability.
"Switch TAHOE RENO fulfills the vision of Switch founder and CEO Rob Roy to create the largest data center ecosystem in the world for our customers' mission-critical workloads," Switch Executive Vice President of Strategy Adam Kramer said in a statement. "This data center building and campus represents unlimited possibilities for our clients because of its massive scale for power, space, and connectivity."
Greenpeace recently named Switch among the highest for any class of company in its "Clicking Clean" report, which highlights progress made by internet companies toward building a "green internet."
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Unpacking the New UN IPCC Report; Baseball Plays with Clean Energy
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward