Commercial, Demand Management, Energy Efficiency - March 9, 2017
MGM to install cogeneration at Massachusetts casino
MGM Resorts International has purchased six CM-75 combined heat and power units for its new casino under construction in Springfield, Mass.
The casino's use of the units, purchased from Tecogen Inc., is expected to save MGM Springfield between $300,000 and $400,000 annually, according to a news release about the project from Tecogen. The cogeneration project is also expected to help lower the resort's energy-related carbon footprint as the units have been designed to produce near-zero emissions.
The cogeneration plant at MGM Springfield is aligned with MGM's broader sustainability and conservation goals, as outlined by the company's Green Advantage program. Over the past five years, and 239,000 MMBtu of natural gas.
MGM's focus on sustainability has lead the company to a number of other actions in recent years related to energy: In Nevada, the company's pursuit of cleaner power led the company to stop purchasing its electricity from its now former utility, NV Energy.
"It is our objective to reduce MGM's environmental impact by decreasing the use of energy and aggressively pursuing renewable energy sources," MGM Executive Vice President John McManus had said at the time. "Our imperative is heightened by increasing customer demand for environmentally sustainable destinations.
- National Grid's new Massachusetts energy efficiency plan expected to save billions
- Net metering under the microscope in Massachusetts
- Proposed legislation would increase net metering cap in Massachusetts by 3%
- Massachusetts governor signs solar legislation reducing state's net metering cap
- Massachusetts law will increase use of wind, hydro
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Amazon Web Services joins partnership for EV management platform development
- A.P. Moller - Maersk reveals the world's first carbon neutral vessel
- Ford's New Science-Based Targets Revealed
- Weekend reads: Discovering Amazon's EV company; The woman at the helm of Biden's climate plan