Commercial, Distributed Generation, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - May 3, 2017
Community solar expands in northern New York
A New York state community solar project recently became the first such installation in the state to be interconnected to National Grid's electric system.
The project is expected to be entirely supported by members of nearby communities including farms and local businesses, and is accepting new members, though remaining space is limited as it is already more than 50% subscribed, according to a May 3 news release from United Renewable Energy LLC, which constructed the project. Located in the northern part of the state, the solar installation sits on approximately three acres of previously underused pasture land; its peak output is 241 kW DC, yielding a peak of 165 kW AC returned to the power grid.
The members of the solar farm receive a percentage of the solar plant's generation each month, which is credited to their bill as if the panels were installed on their own roofs, according to the release. Centralizing the solar panels at one site as opposed to installing them across the various members' roofs reduces construction costs, which allows members to save money on their combined electricity and distribution costs that they would not save going the route of onsite solar.
Community solar continues to expand, in a state-by-state manner, as an option for end users looking to increase their use of renewable energy. In Minnesota, which has a robust community solar program, large energy users such as U.S. Bancorp, Land O'Lakes Inc., Macy's and Ecolab Inc. have subscribed to recently completely projects.
- Whole Foods expands rooftop solar with NRG, SolarCity
- NY ups funding for C&I energy management initiative
- Gov. Cuomo pledges $11M for EV charging infrastructure
- New York expands Clean Energy Standard to increase RE generation
- NY, DC and 13 other states join diesel vehicle electrification initiative
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Amazon Web Services joins partnership for EV management platform development
- A.P. Moller - Maersk reveals the world's first carbon neutral vessel
- Ford's New Science-Based Targets Revealed
- Weekend reads: Discovering Amazon's EV company; The woman at the helm of Biden's climate plan