Utilities, Commercial, Industrial, Solar - May 26, 2017
Navy celebrates completion of 17 MW solar project
Photo, courtesy of the Department of the Navy, shows Department of the Navy Resilient Energy Program Office Executive Director John Kliem, Indiana Lt. Gov. Suzanne Crouch, Duke Energy Indiana President Melody Birmingham-Byrd, and Naval Support Activity Crane Commanding Officer Cmdr. Timothy Craddock marking the official opening of the solar generation facility.
The U.S. Department of the Navy and Indiana Gov. Suzanne Crouch recently celebrated the opening of a new, 17-MW solar power plant in southwestern Indiana at the Naval Support Activity Crane.
The project will contribute to the Department of the Navy's diverse energy portfolio, ensuring more secure and resilient operations at NSA Crane, according to a news release. The project is also expected to serve as a catalyst for future energy infrastructure projects for the Navy, the governor said at the project's ribbon cutting on May 18, as well as bring greater energy management to Indiana, "spurring innovation and growth."
Duke Energy built, and will own, operate and maintain the solar facility on NSA Crane. In exchange for providing secure, on-base land needed for the project, NSA Crane will receive in-kind consideration in the form of electrical infrastructure upgrades, such as a motor-operated disconnect switch, and a microgrid feasibility study to increase future base resiliency.
"With roughly 76,000 solar panels stretched across 145 acres, this solar project is quite an impressive achievement and stands as a monument to our enduring relationship with the state of Indiana and our energy partners," Cmdr. Timothy A. Craddock, commanding officer of NSA Crane, said in a statement. "Through this endeavor, we are providing and promoting energy sustainability and bringing renewable energy options to the installation and neighboring communities."
The department said in its release that it continues work to improve readiness, combat effectiveness and flexibility through initiatives that focus on energy reliability, resiliency and efficiency.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers