Commercial, Industrial, Regulation, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - August 30, 2017
Amazon unveils massive rooftop solar project
Amazon.com Inc. on Aug. 29 announced what it says is the largest rooftop solar project in New Jersey: A 22,000-panel system at its fulfillment center in Carteret.
The roof of the facility spans 30-acres, according to a report from the Home News Tribune. Power generated from the project is expected to cover 80% of the fulfillment center's electricity needs. At peak sunlight, the system can reportedly generate 7.5 MW of power, NJ.com reported.
At an event unveiling the installation, which took close to a year to complete, U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone reportedly called the project a private-public partnership given the utilization of the state and federal tax credits. Amazon would not disclose the cost of the project, according to news outlets.
"I've always been a big advocate that the federal and state government need to continue to provide those types of incentives. Otherwise, the companies won't do it," the Home News Tribute quoted Pallone as saying. "Eventually, we won't need to do those things because the price of everything will come down as more solar panels are produced."
Amazon partnered with Sol Systems and IGS Solar on the project.
The e-commerce giant has been ramping its use of renewable energy for some time. About a year ago, it announced what was its largest renewable energy investment to-date, a 253-MW wind farm in Scurry County, Texas.
- Advocates call on Amazon to save struggling nukes
- New Jersey bill threatens SREC program
- Renewable energy access lures Facebook to Ohio
- Solar project to save Ricoh $1.9M over 10 years
- Amazon invests in fuel cell biz to boost efficiency
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- GM partners on largest EV charging network
- Bloomberg, Salesforce, The Gap and others aggregate for VPPA
- The Home Depot announces new targets and RE initiatives
- Corporations shatter record for clean energy PPAs
- Final agenda and opening keynote announced for 2019 Innovation Summit
- Establishment Labs Deploys Microgrid to Maintain Manufacturing Operations During Grid Outages
- EV100 Progress and Insights Annual Report
- Mexico's Energy Market Reform: Navigating the Challenges and Opportunities in the Competitive Supply Market
- Monetizing Energy Assets for Data Centers
- What to Expect from Energy Markets in 2019