Utilities, Commercial, Finance, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables - September 25, 2017
Facebook switches to community choice RE option
Social media giant Facebook has switched all electric accounts at its Menlo Park, Calif., headquarters to participate in a 100% renewable energy program created by a newly established California electricity supplier.
Formed as a joint powers authority in 2016, Peninsula Clean Energy is a public, locally controlled community choice energy program made up of all San Mateo County, including its 20 cities that began serving large customers in April, according to a Sept. 21 news release. By opting into PCE's ECO100 program, Facebook became its largest corporate customer.
Customers of PCE are automatically enrolled in a program offering electricity that is 50% renewable and 80% greenhouse gas emissions free at a rate 5% lower than that of California's largest utility, PG&E, according to the release. Its ECO100 program provides electricity priced at "a slight premium" that is 100% renewable and 100% greenhouse gas emissions free.
"Facebook is committed to being a good neighbor and that includes reducing its potential impact on
the environment," Facebook Sustainability and Community Outreach Manager Lauren Swezey said in a statement. "We're excited to enroll in Peninsula Clean Energy's ECO100 energy option, which will reduce our carbon footprint and help Menlo Park reach its local climate action goals."
Facebook has a goal to reach 50% renewable energy in its electricity supply mix for its data centers in 2018, with a longer-term goal of reaching 100% for its entire supply. According to PCE, more than 4,200 customer accounts are enrolled in ECO100.
According to PCE, more than 4,200 customer accounts are enrolled in ECO100.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness