Commercial, Demand Management, Distributed Energy Resources, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - September 27, 2017
CBRE skyscraper undergoes energy efficiency overhaul
For a skyscraper in the heart of the city the never sleeps, the importance of efficiently managing energy is hard to understate, particularly in light of new mandates from city hall for building owners to make sharp greenhouse gas reductions.
Marking a step toward deeper efficiency, 1540 Broadway, formerly known as the Bertelsmann Building, recently signed an agreement to deploy a 1,560-kW combined heat and power system, high efficiency condensing boilers, a heat recovery generator and a state of the art building monitoring system that will use sensors to measure the building's occupancy and adjust the operation of its systems to optimal efficiency. According to a Sept. 25 news release, the combination of projects is expected to greatly reduce the CBRE Group Inc. building's energy use and GHG emissions.
The CHP system will use waste heat to heat the building in the cooler months along with the condensing boilers, according to the release from Clean Energy Technologies Inc., which designed the building's new heat recovery generator. The generator will create additional electricity in the warmer months utilizing the CHP system's waste heat.
Commercial real estate services and investment firm CBRE, which manages 1540 Broadway, in 2016 created its first global greenhouse gas emissions reduction goal, aiming to cut Scope 2 emissions 30% by 2025 and 50% by 2025.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward