Commercial, GHG Emissions, Industrial, Commercial, Industrial, Solar - October 11, 2017
Toyota HQ completes massive onsite solar project
Photo of solar panels onsite at Toyota's North American headquarters in Plano, Texas, provided by Sun Power.
After an upsizing of initial plans for a massive onsite solar project at Toyota Motor North America's new headquarters in Plano, Texas, the installation is complete and the campus has achieved LEED Platinum certification.
The 8.79 MW system, which features garage top solar canopies, comprises more than 20,000 panels, according to an Oct. 11 news release from Sun Power, which designed and installed the system. The system is expected to generate enough clean energy to offset approximately 33% of the headquarters' energy needs, reducing Toyota's reliance on traditional electricity from the grid.
The solar installation supports Toyota's Environmental Challenge 2050, which aims to eliminate carbon emissions in the company's operations. In an effort to achieve LEED Platinum certification for the campus from the U.S. Green Building Council Toyota says it designed the headquarters for sustainability, focusing on energy planning for emissions reduction, sustainable landscaping and repurposed rain water for water conservation, and recycling.
"At Toyota, we demonstrate our commitment to sustainability, our culture of respect, and continuous improvement in everything that we do, whether its designing a new car or our new campus," Doug Beebe, general manager of Toyota's real estate and facilities/corporate security and fire services for North America, said in a statement.
In June 2016, Toyota Motor Corp. announced it had activated unique retail electricity supply contract, with provisions for both onsite and offsite renewable power at the new North American headquarters.
- Toyota ups size of onsite solar at North American HQ
- PACE helps Alterra revive 100-year-old Dallas building
- Amazon's Bezos christens Texas wind farm
- Dyson to join EV market with $2.7B investment
- Backup systems enable H-E-B resiliency amid Harvey
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Corporate PPAs to account for 20% of new RE generation in the U.S. by 2030
- The Home Depot inks PPA with solar + storage in Texas
- Intel to receive 100 MW from new Arizona solar project
- Finding Balance: The Yin and Yang of Sustainable Energy Management
- Driving Resiliency Through Your Organization's Energy Infrastructure
- Preparing for the Energy Transition, Part 2: Long-Term Decarbonization Strategies
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Summer Edition
- Integrated Renewable Energy - A Simpler Renewable Solution