Energy Storage, Utilities - December 6, 2017
PG&E strikes energy storage deal for C&I customers
California utility giant Pacific Gas and Electric Co. has teamed up with EDF Renewable Energy to offer behind-the-meter energy storage projects to its commercial and industrial companies.
Under the contract with EDF Renewable Energy for 40 MWh of energy storage capacity, EDF will build, own and operate a portfolio of battery storage projects for C&I companies within PG&E's service territory, according to a Dec. 5 news release. The contract will allow EDF to help selected PG&E customers to lower their utility bills by reducing demand charges, maximizing consumption during off-peak hours, and collecting revenue from wholesale market participation.
Using a proprietary energy management system that will operate the batteries,, the companies said.
"As our clean energy portfolio grows, so does the importance of storage technology," Martin Wyspianski, PG&E senior director for energy portfolio procurement and policy said in a statement. "These contracts and the storage capacity they represent will help us better integrate our growing renewable generation sources, and bring increased reliability to the grid. They are an important milestone in our progress toward a clean energy future."
The agreement will also move PG&E forward toward meeting California's goal to reach 1,325 MW of storage by 2020.
"As utilities across North America consider how to meet future electricity demands by providing highly reliable energy at the lowest cost to the ratepayer, distributed generation and storage solutions are becoming an economical and attractive approach," EDF said in the news release.
- Webinar: Knocking on the utilities' door – a closer look at green tariffs
- NYS college unveils 2 MW solar project
- Waiting in the wings: The impact of solar import tariffs
- Case study: Managing costs with energy storage
- Google signs 3 new PPAs for South Dakota, Iowa wind
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Corporate PPAs to account for 20% of new RE generation in the U.S. by 2030
- The Home Depot inks PPA with solar + storage in Texas
- Intel to receive 100 MW from new Arizona solar project
- Finding Balance: The Yin and Yang of Sustainable Energy Management
- Driving Resiliency Through Your Organization's Energy Infrastructure
- Preparing for the Energy Transition, Part 2: Long-Term Decarbonization Strategies
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Summer Edition
- Integrated Renewable Energy - A Simpler Renewable Solution