Commercial, Solar - December 22, 2017
IKEA wraps Illinois' largest rooftop solar project
A new rooftop solar installation is seen on IKEA's Joliet, Ill., distribution center.
IKEA recently announced the completion of a 2.85 MW rooftop solar project on its Joliet, Ill., distribution center.
The project, according to the Swedish home furnishings retailer, marks the largest of its kind in the state; IKEA also has solar arrays atop its Chicago-area IKEA stores in Bolingbrook and Schaumburg, according to a Dec. 12 news release.
The distribution center's 268,920-square-foot solar array was built with 9,036 panels, and will produce approximately 3,377,000 kWh of electricity annually for the facility, the equivalent of reducing 2,513 tons of carbon dioxide.
"Investing in sustainable solutions is a vital part of our business model," said Lars Petersson, IKEA U.S. president. "IKEA aims to create a sustainable life for communities where we are located, and the Joliet distribution center is a shining example of that goal."
Consistent with the goal of being energy independent by 2020, IKEA has installed more than 700,000 solar panels on buildings across the world and owns approximately 300 wind turbines, including 104 in the U.S., 49 of which are in Hoopeston, Ill.
- HP, IKEA, Unilever among 1st EV100 members
- IKEA UK offers tariff on 100% RE to customers
- IKEA Sustainability Summary Report
- Community solar programs take shape in Illinois
- IKEA offers solar energy storage to UK customers
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- Planet Fitness announces 1st solar powered gym
- Weekend reads: CDP's global reach; a 40,000% power price spike
- The Home Depot, AT&T, Duke Energy featured in latest Beyond the Meter episodes
- Chicagoland Speedway to host new solar farm
- Distributed Energy Future Trends
- Better Plants Progress Update, Fall 2019
- Leveraging Energy Assets to Help Sustain Resilience in the Healthcare Sector
- The Business of Standalone Grid-Scale Energy Storage in Northern States
- Green Lease Leaders: How Industrial Building Owners Use the Lease to Optimize Sustainable Business Practices