Commercial, Solar - December 22, 2017
IKEA wraps Illinois' largest rooftop solar project
A new rooftop solar installation is seen on IKEA's Joliet, Ill., distribution center.
IKEA recently announced the completion of a 2.85 MW rooftop solar project on its Joliet, Ill., distribution center.
The project, according to the Swedish home furnishings retailer, marks the largest of its kind in the state; IKEA also has solar arrays atop its Chicago-area IKEA stores in Bolingbrook and Schaumburg, according to a Dec. 12 news release.
The distribution center's 268,920-square-foot solar array was built with 9,036 panels, and will produce approximately 3,377,000 kWh of electricity annually for the facility, the equivalent of reducing 2,513 tons of carbon dioxide.
"Investing in sustainable solutions is a vital part of our business model," said Lars Petersson, IKEA U.S. president. "IKEA aims to create a sustainable life for communities where we are located, and the Joliet distribution center is a shining example of that goal."
Consistent with the goal of being energy independent by 2020, IKEA has installed more than 700,000 solar panels on buildings across the world and owns approximately 300 wind turbines, including 104 in the U.S., 49 of which are in Hoopeston, Ill.
- IKEA UK offers tariff on 100% RE to customers
- IKEA Sustainability Summary Report
- IKEA, Lidl, and more pledge new sustainability goals
- HP, IKEA, Unilever among 1st EV100 members
- Community solar programs take shape in Illinois
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
“Today’s Leaders. Tomorrow’s Heroes.”
Jana Ganion, Blue Lake Rancheria
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Cargill adds 200 MW Illinois solar project to renewables portfolio
- New Platform Enables SED to Move Forward with All 2020 Events
- ADM paves way to reduce emissions 25%, energy intensity 15%
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey
- Research: The State of IoT and Smart Buildings
- 2019 NRG Sustainability Report
- Rapid Microgrid Deployments for Emergency Preparedness: Powering field hospitals for COVID-19 and beyond
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Climate Action in the Energy Capital of the World