Energy Efficiency, Energy Procurement, Wind - January 19, 2018
Nike heads toward 100% RE with new PPA
Nike Inc. announced on Jan. 18 that it has signed a PPA for a second wind contract with Avangrid Renewables, covering 86 megawatts of wind power from the Karankawa Wind Farm near Corpus Christi, Texas, which is scheduled for completion in 2019.
"This agreement enables us to source 100 percent renewable energy across our owned or operated facilities in North America," says Hannah Jones, chief sustainability officer and vp of the Innovation Accelerator for Nike. "Investing in renewable energy is good for athletes, the planet and for business."
Nike notes that over the life of the agreement, this purchase commitment is "equivalent to powering more than 400,000 average American households with carbon-free energy or to the emissions reduction of taking nearly 800,000 vehicles off the road for one year."
"Working with partners like Nike who have relentless focus on driving the development and availability of renewable energy is exciting and inspiring," said. Barrett Stambler, Avangrid Renewables vice president of origination in a statement.
The first PPA signed by Nike and Avangrid Renewables covered three wind farms in Columbia Gorge, Oregon, which deliver 100% renewable energy to Nike’s headquarters in Beaverton, as well as to nearly all its Oregon-based facilities.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness