Energy Efficiency, Energy Procurement, Wind - January 19, 2018
Nike heads toward 100% RE with new PPA
Nike Inc. announced on Jan. 18 that it has signed a PPA for a second wind contract with Avangrid Renewables, covering 86 megawatts of wind power from the Karankawa Wind Farm near Corpus Christi, Texas, which is scheduled for completion in 2019.
"This agreement enables us to source 100 percent renewable energy across our owned or operated facilities in North America," says Hannah Jones, chief sustainability officer and vp of the Innovation Accelerator for Nike. "Investing in renewable energy is good for athletes, the planet and for business."
Nike notes that over the life of the agreement, this purchase commitment is "equivalent to powering more than 400,000 average American households with carbon-free energy or to the emissions reduction of taking nearly 800,000 vehicles off the road for one year."
"Working with partners like Nike who have relentless focus on driving the development and availability of renewable energy is exciting and inspiring," said. Barrett Stambler, Avangrid Renewables vice president of origination in a statement.
The first PPA signed by Nike and Avangrid Renewables covered three wind farms in Columbia Gorge, Oregon, which deliver 100% renewable energy to Nike’s headquarters in Beaverton, as well as to nearly all its Oregon-based facilities.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Weekend Reads: Google's Vision of a Carbon-Free HQ; San Diego's RE Future
- Ahold Delhaize Commits to Net-zero Target by 2040
- 2021 Renewable Energy Market Analysis
- 2021 State of Distributed Energy Resources Study
- Leveraging New Technologies to Modernize Infrastructure and Improve Energy Efficiency in America's Cities
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings