Energy Efficiency, Energy Procurement, Wind - January 19, 2018
Nike heads toward 100% RE with new PPA
Nike Inc. announced on Jan. 18 that it has signed a PPA for a second wind contract with Avangrid Renewables, covering 86 megawatts of wind power from the Karankawa Wind Farm near Corpus Christi, Texas, which is scheduled for completion in 2019.
"This agreement enables us to source 100 percent renewable energy across our owned or operated facilities in North America," says Hannah Jones, chief sustainability officer and vp of the Innovation Accelerator for Nike. "Investing in renewable energy is good for athletes, the planet and for business."
Nike notes that over the life of the agreement, this purchase commitment is "equivalent to powering more than 400,000 average American households with carbon-free energy or to the emissions reduction of taking nearly 800,000 vehicles off the road for one year."
"Working with partners like Nike who have relentless focus on driving the development and availability of renewable energy is exciting and inspiring," said. Barrett Stambler, Avangrid Renewables vice president of origination in a statement.
The first PPA signed by Nike and Avangrid Renewables covered three wind farms in Columbia Gorge, Oregon, which deliver 100% renewable energy to Nike’s headquarters in Beaverton, as well as to nearly all its Oregon-based facilities.
- Google signs 3 new PPAs for South Dakota, Iowa wind
- Nike signs its first PPA in Europe
- Apple approved for largest wind turbines in Oregon
- Mired in politics, Amazon wind farm fully operational
- Nike targets supply chain with massive logistics center run entirely on renewables
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- GM partners on largest EV charging network
- Bloomberg, Salesforce, The Gap and others aggregate for VPPA
- The Home Depot announces new targets and RE initiatives
- Corporations shatter record for clean energy PPAs
- Final agenda and opening keynote announced for 2019 Innovation Summit
- Establishment Labs Deploys Microgrid to Maintain Manufacturing Operations During Grid Outages
- EV100 Progress and Insights Annual Report
- Mexico's Energy Market Reform: Navigating the Challenges and Opportunities in the Competitive Supply Market
- Monetizing Energy Assets for Data Centers
- What to Expect from Energy Markets in 2019