Energy Efficiency, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - February 5, 2018
Grupo Bimbo goes solar
Grupo Bimbo S.A.B. de C.V. on Feb. 1 announced "Bimbo Solar," an energy self-sufficiency initiative, which includes the consolidation of 33 systems that combined generate 3.7 megawatts of power.
In a statement to Baking Business, the company said, "This will avoid the annual emissions of 2,500 tons of CO2, which is equal to discontinuing the use of 3,115 barrels of oil or to planting 120 thousand trees,” Grupo Bimbo said.
The installed system at Bimbo headquarters in Mexico City includes 308 solar panels that will generate 20% of the power used in the facility. At the ceremonial launch of the program, Daniel Servitie, president and CEO of Grupo Bimbo said, "By incorporating this technology to our operations and the corporate building, at Grupo Bimbo we are taking another important step in our strong commitment to sustainability and the planet.”
This initiative is part of Grupo Bimbo’s overall renewable energy strategy. The first stage of Bimbo Solar will supply the 3.7 megawatts of power to 24 sales depots, 7 branches of its El Globo pastry chain, the corporate headquarters and the Metropolitan distribution center currently under construction in Mexico City. This distribution facility will be the centerpiece of this initiative, featuring Mexico’s largest self-sufficiency solar power system and the second largest in Latin America, with 2.2 megawatts of power.
Other efforts made by the company aimed at reducing its environmental footprint include compliance with global initiatives such as the Paris Accord and the Declaration of Support to the Cerrado Manifesto, in Brazil, to stop deforestation in the region. Additionally, the Piedra Larga Wind Farm, dedicated to Grupo Bimbo in 2012, features 45 wind turbines and an installed capacity of 90 megawatts, supplying power to the company and a fleet of 350 electric distribution vehicles.
- Grupo Bimbo Secures $850M Dollars in Sustainability-Linked Bonds
- Grupo Bimbo Sets 2050 Net-Zero Value Chain Target
- Grupo Bimbo commits to 100% RE by 2025
- Grupo Bimbo signs VPPA for U.S. operations
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- Lumentum Decreases Emissions by 25%, Doubles RE Use
- BACARDÍ Rum Aims to Lower Emissions by 50% in Puerto Rico
- CalPERS Establishes $100 Billion Net Zero Pledge
- Weekend Reads: 10 Myths About the Energy Transition; Tackling Health Care's Carbon Footprint
- US Steel Explores Expansion of Low-Carbon Products