Energy Efficiency, Energy Procurement, Sourcing Renewables - March 13, 2018
IKEA, Lidl, and more pledge new sustainability goals
More than 25 leading retailers, including IKEA, Aldi, Boots, House of Fraser, John Lewis, Lidl, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's and WHSmith have committed to the new "Better Retail Better World" strategy sponsored by the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
According to a report in Business Green, most of the signatories to the plan already have their own stated sustainability initiatives. However, the BRC noted that the program was one of the first of its kind to see companies agree to shared sustainability goals, commit to jointly disclosing their progress, and promise to share best practices.
"This is part of a growing movement for change," said Richard Pennycook, chairman of the BRC. "It is time for the retail industry to show what it can do for the common good. We are taking collective action to build a better, more prosperous and sustainable world, and demonstrating how we are making a positive contribution to society.”
The new strategy includes a mixture of specific targets and more general goals with deadlines ranging from 2020 to 2030. Business Green noted, “For example, on climate action, the plan eschews a commitment to science-based emissions targets or 100% renewables sourcing and instead states only that signatories will by 2020 ‘reduce our business's greenhouse gas emissions and, if applicable, increase our use of renewable energy’.”
The goals in the plan address five of the 17 goals established by the UN's Sustainable Development Goals, including decent work and economic growth, reduced inequalities, sustainable cities and communities, and responsible consumption and production, as well as climate action.
The plan is being supported by environmental NGO WWF. Chief executive Tanya Steele said the goals would "provide BRC members with some of the best information and guidance to engage with the Sustainable Development Goals."
- IKEA UK offers tariff on 100% RE to customers
- IKEA Sustainability Summary Report
- Apple, IKEA, Tesla among climate policy leaders
- IKEA wraps Illinois' largest rooftop solar project
- HP, IKEA, Unilever among 1st EV100 members
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey