Energy Efficiency, Industrial - May 3, 2018
Volvo smashes energy goal, sets new one
Volvo Group North America achieved a 25% reduction in energy consumption at U.S. facilities in 2017, five years ahead of schedule and has set a new goal of 25% more in savings by 2024.
A report in ForConstructionPros.com noted that the energy reduction goal was Volvo’s first Better Plants goal. Three years into the challenge, the Volvo Group is more than halfway to its target of reducing energy consumption by 14.4% against a 2014 baseline.
"We’re proud of the work we’ve done within the Volvo Group to improve our efficiency and reduce our impact on the environment," said Rick Robinson, director of health, safety and environment for Volvo Group North America in the report. "As we shift from technical changes — which tend to have a large one-time impact — to operational and behavioral changes that are more people-driven, we see that commitment reflected in our employees. These creative and committed employees are really driving our progress toward our new goal."
Energy efficiency was achieved through some usual routes, including implementing structural upgrades such as LED lighting, and modernized HVAC systems. A more unusual route included energy “treasure hunts” at Volvo Group facilities, where employee teams observed facilities during idle periods to identify and eliminate energy waste.
Volvo Group North America’s progress in energy efficiency reflects efforts to reduce consumption at eight manufacturing facilities and six service centers in the United States.
- Holcim Adds 1,000 Volvo Electric Trucks
- CEMEX Buys Electric Concrete Mixer Truck
- Volvo Delivers Electric Trucks With Fossil-free Steel
- Starbucks, Volvo Add EV chargers
- Volvo Tests Hydrogen Hauler
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- IKEA, Destination: Net Zero Lead Net Zero Forum Agenda
- Coca-Cola Launches Sustainability-Focused Venture Capital Fund
- Seven Automakers Create EV Charging Network
- Smart Energy Decisions Announces Winners of Inaugural DEI Impact Awards
- Spotlight Sessions Set for Net Zero Fall