Energy Efficiency, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - May 30, 2018
The Home Depot premieres largest solar array in D.C.
The Home Depot has installed a 554-kilowatt solar generation project at its northeast Washington, D.C. location. The project is the largest single rooftop array in the District and is expected to supply more than 9.9 million kilowatt hours of electricity to the store over a 15-year period, accounting for an estimated 35%-40% percent of the store’s annual energy use.
According to a statement, The Home Depot signed a 15-year PPA with Constellation to purchase the electricity generated by the system. GE’s Solar Development team designed and constructed the project, and will handle operations and maintenance for the duration of the contract. The system features more than 1,400 LG photovoltaic panels and is expected to avoid more than 7,300 metric tons of carbon dioxide during the full term of operation
"As the leading home improvement retailer, The Home Depot is proud to host the largest single rooftop solar project in the District," said Craig D’Arcy, director of energy management for The Home Depot. "We thank Constellation and GE for their collaboration as we take another big step toward our commitment to increase support for alternative energy projects."
The project is the first of multiple Constellation-owned, GE-developed rooftop arrays for The Home Depot, which will feature solar arrays on additional stores in Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in Maryland by the end of 2018. The Home Depot plans a total of 50 rooftop projects to reach its goal of utilizing 135 megawatts of alternative and renewable energy by 2020.
- Make risk your advantage, not your obstacle
- Today’s Leaders. Tomorrow’s Heroes.: Meet The Home Depot’s Craig D’Arcy
- The Home Depot reports 26% energy use reduction
- Johns Hopkins, McCormick, TJX sign mega aggregation deal
- Hall of Fame Ohio campus gets funding for energy efficiency boost
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Amazon Web Services joins partnership for EV management platform development
- A.P. Moller - Maersk reveals the world's first carbon neutral vessel
- Ford's New Science-Based Targets Revealed
- Weekend reads: Discovering Amazon's EV company; The woman at the helm of Biden's climate plan