Energy Efficiency, Commercial, Sourcing Renewables - July 3, 2018
Amazon buys e-vans from Mercedes-Benz
Amazon has purchased a fleet of 100 all-electric vans from Mercedes-Benz for use in Germany. The model chosen was the eVito, a mid-size van with a 41.4 kWh battery pack for a range of approximately 150 km or 93 miles.
A report from Electrek noted this will be Mercedes-Benz’s biggest deployment of its new electric vans following an order for 1,500-all-electric vans for Hermes, a German logisitcs firm
A statement from Mercedes-Benz said, "By the end of the year, Amazon Logistics will have 100 eVitos in its fleet at its Bochum and Düsseldorf locations. Furthermore, Amazon and Mercedes-Benz Vans are working with other partners on a wide-ranging operator concept for the Bochum facility. Alongside the charging infrastructure, this covers parking space management and the automated capture of vehicle status."
The automaker is working closely with customers on adapting the vehicles to their fleets and the required infrastructure in a program called "Customer Co-Creation." The company explains, "Ultimately, the integration of an intelligent charging infrastructure concept lays the foundation for sustained competitiveness and for conserving resources with a commercial fleet."
Electrek’s report notes that while options for a fleet of delivery vans have been limited, "the segment is about to get a lot more competitive." Following Nissan’s e_NV200all-electricc van and several models from Mercedes-Benz, new market entrants include the eCrafter van from VW, along with models from U.S. companies such as Workhorse and Chanie.
- Mercedes-Benz sells electric vans for European Amazon deliveries
- First-time corporate renewable energy buyers breathing down Google’s neck
- Amazon announces 300 MW across four new RE projects
- Amazon posts RE projects #65 & #66
- Amazon opens Colorado’s largest rooftop solar
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Amazon Web Services joins partnership for EV management platform development
- A.P. Moller - Maersk reveals the world's first carbon neutral vessel
- Ford's New Science-Based Targets Revealed
- Weekend reads: Discovering Amazon's EV company; The woman at the helm of Biden's climate plan