Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - January 24, 2019
Facebook secures solar with back-to-back VPPA
Facebook has secured approximately 80 megawatts of solar power for its data centers through a VPPA signed by Digital Realty, which signed the deal with SunEnergy1, which has developed and will own and operate the solar project, to be located within Virginia Electric and Power Company territory in North Carolina. Under the terms of the agreement, all renewable energy certificates and environmental claims will be delivered to Facebook.
A statement from Digital Realty noted that this agreement marks the first back-to-back utility-scale renewable energy transaction between a data center provider landlord utilizing a virtual power purchase agreement to underpin the renewable energy supply dedicated to a customer. Digital Realty worked in partnership with Facebook to structure the transaction to align with Facebook's quality standards for new renewable energy projects within the same power grid as the data center load.
"Facebook is committed to supporting all of its operations with 100% renewable energy and to improving overall access to renewable markets," said Bobby Hollis, director of global energy and site selection at Facebook. "We are thrilled Digital Realty has entered into this agreement and hope this will serve as a model for other colocation customers seeking to support their operations with high-quality, renewable energy projects."
- Digital Realty signs PPAs for data centers
- Facebook signs PPA to power TX ops
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Facebook inks deal with Va. solar farm
- Facebook launches Ga. solar farm to power data center
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Voices Podcast
Episode 4: The Purpose Driven Organization
with Jeff Fromm and David Smart
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Cargill, Ardent Mills complete agreement with Texas solar farm
- Smart Energy Voices Podcast Digs Deep with Industry Movers and Shakers
- No Capital Needed: Your Guide to No-Cost Energy Projects
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?