Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, Energy Storage - March 14, 2019
New York State funds energy storage projects
The New York State Energy and Research Development Authority filed March 11 its plan to allocate 80% of the $350 authorized for bridge incentives in the energy storage projects to retail and bulk storage market acceleration incentives.
The state has a previously stated goal of having 1,500 MW of energy storage by 2025. These planned initiatives would help achieve about two-thirds of that goal, Renewables Now reported. The state is working toward having 3,000 MW of energy storage by the end of the next decade.
The plan includes a retail storage incentive that "will take up $130 million to speed up retail storage use cases in a MWh block design that declines as deployment increases," the site reported. This incentive targets projects of up to 5 MW that are either interconnected behind a customer’s electric meter, or directly into the distribution system.
New York state will allocate $150 million to fund a bulk storage incentive that backs projects exceeding 5 MW. These projects are interconnected directly into the transmission, sub-transmission or distribution systems, and are meant to provide wholesale market energy, ancillary services and/or capacity services.
These programs are expected to begin the second quarter of 2019.
NYSERDA plans to ask permission to set aside the remaining $70 million in its incentive funding for opportunities that have the greatest potential to build a self-sustaining storage market.
- Verizon replaces 200+ NYC vans with hybrid electric
- NYS college unveils 2 MW solar project
- NYSERDA allocates $10 million for carbon reduction at C&I buildings
- Fordham University benefits from largest NYC solar array
- YMCA of NY adds new energy platform
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- A Comparison of Fuel Choice for Backup Generators
- Capturing the Full Value of Renewable Energy for Businesses in ERCOT
- Benchmarking and Transparency: Resources for State and Local Leaders
- Establishment Labs Deploys Microgrid to Maintain Manufacturing Operations During Grid Outages
- EV100 Progress and Insights Annual Report