GHG Emissions, Commercial, Finance, Industrial - April 25, 2019
Walmart partners on finance options for supply chain sustainability
Walmart suppliers who demonstrate progress in their sustainability credentials will have access to improved financing from HSBC, thanks to a partnership between the two companies.
Suppliers’ progress will be measured against Walmart’s Project Gigaton and Walmart Sustainability Index Program, developed by The Sustainability Consortium. Project Gigaton is Walmart’s initiative to rid one billion metric tons (a gigaton) of GHG emissions from their global value chain by 2030.
A statement from HSBC explained, “The ecosystem of businesses that operate in any one supply chain are one of the most important levers for businesses to create a positive effect on the world. Typically the businesses in a supply chain account for more than 80% of greenhouse-gas emissions. So, the role that international banks have to play in supporting companies’ transition to become more sustainable is paramount to business sustainability more generally.”
Financial support can take several forms, according to the statement, from traditional green lending to program-based lending that finances the investment needed by key suppliers to put the tools and equipment in place that lessen impact on the environment. This can range from reducing energy consumption through to water treatment plants. Supply chain finance programs can also use variable pricing to incentivize suppliers to meet sustainability targets.
“Trade is a force for good, and trade finance has a vital role to play if we are to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals”, says Natalie Blyth, Global Head of Trade and Receivables Finance at HSBC. “Embedding sustainability in global supply chains is not only beneficial for the environment and society, but also for companies’ bottom lines"
- Walmart signs 46 solar PPAs across 5 states
- Walmart's inaugural ESG Report
- Walmart signs for community solar in MN
- Walmart reports Project Gigaton progress, offers emissions calculator
- Virginia denies Walmart aggregation petition
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Industry News: SED's Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum goes VIRTUAL July 27-29, 2020
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Amazon announces 300 MW across four new RE projects
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Cargill adds 200 MW Illinois solar project to renewables portfolio
- GM to install 3,500 employee EV charging stations
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey
- Research: The State of IoT and Smart Buildings
- 2019 NRG Sustainability Report
- Rapid Microgrid Deployments for Emergency Preparedness: Powering field hospitals for COVID-19 and beyond
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Climate Action in the Energy Capital of the World