Energy Efficiency, Commercial, Solar - June 11, 2019
Walmart signs for community solar in MN
Walmart has reached an agreement to subscribe to 36 of US Solar's community solar gardens located throughout the state of Minnesota. The deal will provide energy to Walmart locations in 13 separate counties. The first gardens have completed construction; the remainder are expected to be online by the first half of 2020.
"Solar is a vital component of Walmart's expanding renewable energy portfolio," said Mark Vanderhelm, vice president of energy for Walmart Inc. "Walmart plans to tirelessly pursue renewable energy projects that are right for our customers, our business and the environment. This community solar gardens initiative with US Solar is moving us in the right direction toward our renewable energy goals."
According to Walmart’s statement, community solar in Minnesota allows businesses, public entities, and residents to subscribe to an offsite solar garden without having to site solar directly on their property, thereby enabling subscribers to reduce their retail electricity costs while also supporting clean, local energy. Subscribers receive energy savings in the form of a bill credit on their retail electric bill based on the amount of energy produced each month by their subscribed portion of the solar gardens.
The bill credits that Walmart will receive are based on Minnesota's Value of Solar methodology, which takes into consideration the value of the solar energy delivered to the utility by the community solar gardens, as well as other grid and environmental benefits.
- Walmart signs 46 solar PPAs across 5 states
- Walmart's inaugural ESG Report
- DE Forum Presentation: Walmart's Distributed Energy Journey - Past, Present and Future
- Walmart partners on finance options for supply chain sustainability
- Walmart reports Project Gigaton progress, offers emissions calculator
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey