Commercial, Solar - June 27, 2019
Mondelēz International signs PPA with Texas solar farm
Mondelēz International on June 27 signed a power purchase agreement to source energy from a Texas solar farm, its largest renewable energy partnership around the world and the snack company's first such agreement in the United States.
The PPA was signed in partnership with Enel Green Power North America and will provide electricity to the snack food company from 65 MW of its Roadrunner solar farm in Upton County, Texas, according to a news release.
The solar farm will help Mondelēz along its goal to reduce 80,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions, which accounts for 5% of its global manufacturing emissions.
The company also claims that the renewable energy purchased from the project is enough to produce more than 50% of all the Oreo cookies consumed in the U.S. annually, a specialty of the Mondelēz product line.
“Our ambition is to create a future where people and planet thrive by reducing the environmental impact of the snacks we make,” Glen Walter, EVP and President North America of Mondelēz International, said in a statement. “This agreement demonstrates our commitment to reducing carbon dioxide emissions from our manufacturing footprint around the world, as well as specifically in North America. Together with our broader goals to eradicate deforestation in key ingredient supply chains, it forms a critical element of our sustainable snacking strategy and our contribution to creating a sustainable future.”
Once fully operational, Enel Green Power expects the Roadrunner solar farm to generate approximately 1.2 TWh annually, while avoiding the emission of over 800,000 tons of CO2 per year.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey