Energy Efficiency, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - August 22, 2019
Michigan school district completes solar system
The Flushing Community Schools district in Flushing, Mich., has completed construction on a seven-site solar array that will generate 956.8 KW from five roof- and two ground-mounted systems. The energy produced by these solar systems will offset approximately 84% of the district’s current electric loads, providing savings equal to one year of greenhouse gas emissions from 174 vehicles and the carbon dioxide emissions from 98.2 homes.
“We have always made energy conservation and global citizenship a priority. When we began to explore the possibilities of further improving the efficiencies of our buildings and modeling for our students the importance of renewable energy, this project came to life. We are truly excited to be considered a leader in the use of renewable energy,” said Tim Stein, superintendent, Flushing Community Schools, in a statement.
The project is the result of a first-of-its-kind public-private partnership between the school district and Standard Solar, which designed, built and financed the operation. The company also will operate and maintain all of the arrays within the Flushing Community Schools. The move will save the school district $45,000 annually and $900,0000 over the course of the contract, according to a statement.
“Through our public-private partnership, we provide access to expertise and innovation at each stage of the project development, significantly adding value to educational facilities like Flushing Community Schools who are looking to reduce their energy costs,” said Daryl Pilon, Director of Business Development, Standard Solar.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness