Energy Efficiency, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - August 22, 2019
Michigan school district completes solar system
The Flushing Community Schools district in Flushing, Mich., has completed construction on a seven-site solar array that will generate 956.8 KW from five roof- and two ground-mounted systems. The energy produced by these solar systems will offset approximately 84% of the district’s current electric loads, providing savings equal to one year of greenhouse gas emissions from 174 vehicles and the carbon dioxide emissions from 98.2 homes.
“We have always made energy conservation and global citizenship a priority. When we began to explore the possibilities of further improving the efficiencies of our buildings and modeling for our students the importance of renewable energy, this project came to life. We are truly excited to be considered a leader in the use of renewable energy,” said Tim Stein, superintendent, Flushing Community Schools, in a statement.
The project is the result of a first-of-its-kind public-private partnership between the school district and Standard Solar, which designed, built and financed the operation. The company also will operate and maintain all of the arrays within the Flushing Community Schools. The move will save the school district $45,000 annually and $900,0000 over the course of the contract, according to a statement.
“Through our public-private partnership, we provide access to expertise and innovation at each stage of the project development, significantly adding value to educational facilities like Flushing Community Schools who are looking to reduce their energy costs,” said Daryl Pilon, Director of Business Development, Standard Solar.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers