Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - September 2, 2019
Amazon opens Colorado’s largest rooftop solar
Amazon has installed a solar array on the roof of its 855,000-square-foot Fulfillment Center in Thornton, Colorado, making it the largest single solar system in the state. The solar array, featuring more than 17,000 panels on 19 acres, can generate almost 80% of the facility’s annual energy needs.
The system, installed by REC Solar, has a capacity of 6.05 MW and will begin operating in November. The Fulfillment center has more than 1,500 employees working alongside Amazon robotics to pick, pack and ship smaller customer items, such as books, toys and kitchenware.
“Amazon is excited to be a part of the Thornton community and proud of our new fulfillment center, which is equipped with energy-efficient technologies,” Joe Dudek, Amazon general manager, said in a report from the Denver Post. “This building features LED lighting, advanced building management systems, variable frequency drive equipped motors, high efficiency heating and cooling systems, and remote energy and power monitoring.”
In July, Amazon announced the early completion of its commitment to host 50 solar systems on its fulfillment and sortation center rooftops globally by 2020. The on-site solar systems reduce Amazon’s reliance on fossil fuels and can generate as much as 80% of a single fulfillment facility’s annual energy needs. Amazon’s on-site solar investments support Shipment Zero – Amazon’s vision to make all Amazon shipments net zero carbon, with 50% of all shipments net zero by 2030 – as well as its companywide goal to use 100% renewable energy across its global operations and infrastructure.
- First-time corporate renewable energy buyers breathing down Google’s neck
- Amazon commits €3.75 million to city greening research program
- Amazon targets early net zero, adds 100,000 EVs
- Amazon announces three new wind and solar projects
- Amazon plans three new solar projects in U.S, Spain
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Amazon Web Services joins partnership for EV management platform development
- A.P. Moller - Maersk reveals the world's first carbon neutral vessel
- Ford's New Science-Based Targets Revealed
- Weekend reads: Discovering Amazon's EV company; The woman at the helm of Biden's climate plan