Commercial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - September 3, 2019
Facebook signs PPA to power TX ops
Facebook is moving closer to achieving its goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 75% and supporting its entire operation with power generated from renewable sources. The tech giant signed a PPA with Apex Wind East to purchase electricity to support its growing operations in the Cook County, Tex., region.
Aviator Wind East is a 200 MW segment of the 525 MW Aviation Wind project, the largest single-phase wind project in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) and the largest single-phase, single-site wind project in the U.S. It should be operational next year, according to a release from Apex Clean Energy. Facebook is poised to get 199.76 MW of power from the facility. The release noted that an additional unnamed corporate PPA for a majority of the balance of Aviator Wind will be announced at a later date.
“As part of our goal to support 100% of our operations with renewable energy, we want to help drive the energy transition and increase access to wind and solar power around the world,” said Facebook’s Urvi Parekh, renewable energy manager. “This project will be an important part of successfully reaching our targets, and we are thrilled to have the support of Ares Infrastructure and Power and Apex Clean Energy to bring this new wind energy online.”
Aviator Wind was developed by Apex Clean Energy and is owned by funds managed by Ares Infrastructure and Power.
- Facebook, Google, Amazon lead RE procurements
- Facebook hit with $39M utility bill in NM
- Facebook’s first direct investment in RE; Shell to share RECs
- Facebook secures solar with back-to-back VPPA
- 200 MW solar allocated to Facebook data center
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
The value of Smart Energy Decisions' events, your success is our business.
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Amazon, AT&T, IKEA, others join electric vehicle alliance
- Toyota and Dow sign PPAs for Ky. solar plant
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise and partners create first data center efficiency label
- Sustainable Energy Strategy: How to Make the Business Case, Align Your Stakeholders, and Set Actionable Emissions Targets
- 2020 Sustainable Energy in America Factbook
- SED Profiles in Partnership: Sprint & Duke Energy Renewables
- Energy Market Outlook – What to expect in 2020 and beyond
- Insights from SED’s 2019 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum