Commercial, Distributed Generation, Solar - October 1, 2019
Javits Center solar project approved for energy storage addition
A solar project planned for the rooftop of the Javits Center was approved for the addition of a 2 MW battery storage system, which will allow the center to support the overall state power grid through demand response and other energy optimizing programs.
The 1.4 MW rooftop solar installation is on track to be the largest of its kind in Manhattan, including 4,000 panels and offsetting more than 1.3 million pounds of CO2 each year. It will be installed by the New York Power Authority with the assistance of Siemens Industry Inc., who will provide the energy storage technology and will purchase the energy generated from the system.
The solar project is expected to provide the Javits Center with approximately 1,450 kW of solar PV capacity and 2,000 kW of energy storage capacity, which are expected to generate more than 1,800,000 kWh of electricity per year. The addition of the battery storage system will allow excess generation from the solar array to be stored for use during times of peak power demand.
“As a new model of sustainability, the Javits Center is helping to redefine the role of large buildings in a dense urban environment such as New York City,” Alan Steel, president and CEO of the New York Convention Center Operating Corporation, said in a statement. “In collaboration with NYPA and Siemens, we are thrilled to add storage capacity to our rooftop solar array, which will be the latest addition to a sustainability program that has made tremendous strides in energy conservation and wildlife protection.”
The project keeps the state of New York on track to achieve its targets under its Green New Deal, including carbon neutrality and 70% electricity from renewable sources by 2030.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers