Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - December 13, 2019
Hormel Foods to power Calif. plant with on-site solar
Hormel Foods Corporation celebrated Dec. 11 the completion of an on-site solar project that will provide up to 15% of the electricity needs of the Hormel Foods Swiss American Sausage Company facility in Lathrop, Calif.
The plant, where Hormel produces a variety of pepperoni and salami for foodservice pizza toppings, features approximately 2,000 panels on roof and ground space and is expected to generate about 1.2 million kWh per year. The project was completed through a partnership with IGS Solar and HOLT Renewables.
"We are pleased to announce the completion of this project," Tom Raymond, director of environmental sustainability at Hormel Foods, said in a statement. "As a global branded food company, we place great emphasis on minimizing our environmental impacts. This project supports our environmental sustainability goals and is another example of our commitment and support of renewable energy."
The solar array is expected to reduce carbon emissions by 288 metric tons per year and will be owned, operated and maintained by IGS Solar.
Hormel Foods has completed other energy-related projects this year, including a VPPA with a wind farm in Nebraska that would account for almost 50% of their energy needs. In October, the company celebrated a 10% drop in energy use.
- How will Hormel make sausages? Solar power.
- Hormel closes in on 50% RE with VPPA
- Chicagoland Speedway to host new solar farm
- Tiffin University adds 240-kW rooftop solar array
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey