Utilities, Commercial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - February 6, 2020
Wind farm to power Nike operations is now operational
A 307 MW wind farm in Texas that will supply power to Nike and Austin Energy has been completed, project developers announced Feb. 6.
The Karankawa Wind Farm is located in San Patricio and Bee Counties in South Texas and consist of 124 GE wind turbines across 18,000 acres, each of which range in capacity from 2.3 to 2.52 MW. The wind farm was constructed for its customers by Avangrid Renewables, LLC, a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc.
The power generated from this wind farm will help Nike along the path to its goal of powering 100% of its owned or operated facilities with renewable energy by 2025 as part of its RE100 commitment.
“At Nike, we’re on a mission to help protect the future of sport, and there is no bigger environmental threat to sport than climate change,” Noel Kinder, Chief Sustainability Officer of Nike, said in a statement. “We have been incorporating sustainability into our business for years – both in our operations and in how we innovate to reduce our environmental footprint while also providing high-performance products. With the opening of the Karankawa Wind Farm we are proud to be using renewable energy to power 100% of our owned or operated facilities in our North America geography, and are tracking toward our commitment to achieve 100% globally by 2025.”
Additionally, the wind farm will generate power for Austin Energy, who has committed to meet 65% of its customers' energy demand with renewable sources by 2027.
This is Avangrid Renewables' sixth and largest wind farm in the state of Texas.
- Nike heads toward 100% RE with new PPA
- T-Mobile advances RE100 goal with 158 MW Illinois wind farm
- New Nike distribution center powered by 100% clean energy
- Microsoft releases new climate initiatives with partner companies
- Apple's Oregon data center receives power from new RE projects
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Cargill, Ardent Mills complete agreement with Texas solar farm
- Smart Energy Voices Podcast Digs Deep with Industry Movers and Shakers
- Integrated Renewable Energy - A Simpler Renewable Solution
- How to Engage Your Supply Chain in Sustainability
- Preparing for the Energy Transition, Part 1: Immediate Steps For C&I Facilities
- No Capital Needed: Your Guide to No-Cost Energy Projects
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers