Commercial, GHG Emissions - February 17, 2020
California brewery explores carbon capture tech
A Northern California brewery is exploring a new carbon-capture technology that will allow them to capture up to 100,000 pounds of expended CO2 a year that can be reused to carbonate and package beer.
Devil’s Canyon Brewing Company partnered with Austin-based Earthly Labs to implement their plug-and-play carbon capture technology, dubbed “Cici”, to capture the carbon created in production and reuse it, similar to a process that is used by larger breweries like Sierra Nevada to recover CO2 but in a more affordable way.
“At Devil’s Canyon, we believe in reducing and reusing resources in all kinds of ways – from solar energy to reusing equipment to repurposing building materials throughout our facility,” CEO and Founder Chris Garrett said in a statement. “Earthly Labs' vision fits into our own around practical sustainability. By using CiCi to capture and reuse our own CO2, we reduce costs, make better beer, and invest in the sustainability of our planet.”
Visitors to the Devil’s Canyon brewery will be able to take tours explaining the new technology during SF Beer Week. The new technology will allow the brewery to reduce their carbon emissions and will make them the first brewery in Northern California to explore carbon capture technology, according to Devil's Canyon.
- Nantucket farm adds additional 1.4 MW of solar
- Groups urge Hawaiian regulators to lean on DERs to rebuild economy
- MSC Cruises extends agreement for sustainable fuel fleet
- Penn. hospital installs eight EV charging stations
- Dunkin' Brands highlights green achievement
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Voices Podcast
Episode 4: The Purpose Driven Organization
with Jeff Fromm and David Smart
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Verizon, Saint-Gobain ink agreements with 250 MW wind farm
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Cargill adds 10 new projects to RE portfolio
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?
- Shape-shifting: Why a turbine’s shape is your most important asset