Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - April 24, 2020
Boston Scientific inks VPPA for 42 MW community solar project
Boston Scientific Corporation announced April 1 that they have signed a VPPA With Clearway Energy Group for a 42 MW community solar project.
This is the largest clean energy agreement the medical tech company has implemented. Boston Scientific estimates that their U.S. electricity use accounts for 45% of their total carbon footprint. This agreement follows another recent agreement with Clearway Energy Group for a 12.9 MW community solar project in Massachusetts.
"Building on more than a decade of work to reduce our carbon footprint, this 42 megawatt (MW) solar deal equates to approximately 120,000 megawatt hours of renewable electricity annually," Brad Sorenson, senior vice president of Manufacturing and Supply Chain, said in a statement. "As a result of the agreement, Boston Scientific will offset emissions equivalent to removing more than 34,000 passenger vehicles from the road, or the amount of electricity needed to power more than 18,000 homes each year."
Boston Scientific previously committed to being carbon neutral in their manufacturing and distribution globally by 2030. The company now operates more than 4 million square feet of independently certified green real estate around the world. Since 2009, they have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 76,000 metric tons by implementing energy-saving strategies like reducing energy use, converting to renewable energy and purchasing carbon credits to offset unavoidable emissions.
- Two new solar and battery systems completed in Massachusetts
- Lowe's, Intuit, Brown Univ., Ecolab advance targets with Texas wind farm
- Duquesne University forms partnership to improve efficiency and reliability
- Lowe’s signs first RE agreement
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Today's Leaders. Tomorrow's Heroes.
The George Washington University
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Verizon, Saint-Gobain ink agreements with 250 MW wind farm
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Cargill adds 10 new projects to RE portfolio
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?
- Shape-shifting: Why a turbine’s shape is your most important asset