Commercial, Industrial, Wind - July 1, 2020
Verizon, Saint-Gobain ink agreements with 250 MW wind farm
Verizon and Saint-Gobain North America both signed VPPAs with a 250 MW wind farm in McLean County, Ill.
The Blooming Grove Wind Energy Center will be owned and operated by Invenergy and will generate enough electricity to power about 69,000 homes each year. Verizon contracted 130 MW of the system through their VPPA and Saint-Gobain contracted the remaining 120 MW.
"Verizon is committed to doing our part to tackle climate change - our long-term renewable energy agreements are a tangible example of that commitment," Jim Gowen, Chief Sustainability Officer for Verizon, said in a statement. "We will source at least 50% of our total electricity from renewable energy sources by 2025 and our initiative with Invenergy is an enabling step on the path to that goal."
Verizon is also committed to being carbon neutral by 2035, while Saint-Gobain intends to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. This is Saint-Gobain’s largest renewable energy deal to date. The 120 MW contract between Invenergy and Saint-Gobain includes the purchase of RECS to offset 40% of the emissions from the materials manufacturer’s U.S. operations, which will reduce their overall carbon footprint in the U.S. by 21%.
“As one of the world’s largest building materials companies and manufacturer of innovative material solutions, Saint-Gobain is guided by a vision of a more sustainable future,” Mark Rayfield, President and CEO of Saint-Gobain North America, said in a statement. “This agreement is a clear and practical example of Saint-Gobain‘s commitment to achieving carbon neutrality by 2050. We are proud to highlight the importance of renewables in corporate clean energy strategies, especially as they enable us to continue to deliver materials and solutions that sustain life on our planet.”
The project is expected to be operational by the end of 2020.
- Microsoft adds 74 MW of solar in NC
- Google plots 1.6 million solar panels in TN and AL
- Verizon sets clean energy goal
- Novartis signs 12-year wind VPPA
- Verizon aims to be carbon neutral by 2035
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Today's Leaders. Tomorrow's Heroes.
The George Washington University
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- Verizon, Saint-Gobain ink agreements with 250 MW wind farm
- Cargill adds 10 new projects to RE portfolio
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement