Commercial, GHG Emissions - August 17, 2020
JetBlue achieves carbon neutrality on domestic flights
JetBlue announced Aug. 13 that they have successfully gone carbon neutral on all their domestic flights.
The airline first committed to achieving this goal in January. In addition to investing in sustainable aviation fuel, the airline is offsetting the CO2 emissions from all their domestic JetBlue-operated flights. To start, they will use sustainable aviation fuel from Neste in all flights departing San Francisco International Airport.
“The global pandemic reinforces the need to mitigate risks that threaten the health of our business,” Joanna Geraghty, president and chief operating officer of JetBlue, said in a statement. “Our commitment to sustainability has only become more important as we prepare our business for a new climate reality. Even with a long recovery ahead following the COVID-19 pandemic, JetBlue remains focused on short- and long-term environmental opportunities, particularly lessening our largest impact – carbon emissions – and more fuel efficient flying.”
JetBlue has previously implemented carbon offsetting initiatives, but never at this level. As they offset the emissions from jet fuel for domestic flights, they expect to offset 7 to 8 million metric tons of CO2 emissions each year by investing in projects like landfill gas capture, solar and wind generation and forest conservation.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness