GHG Emissions - September 25, 2020
Michigan governor commits state to carbon neutrality
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan signed an Executive Order Sept. 23 creating the MI Healthy Climate Plan and committing the state to carbon neutrality by 2050.
This announcement makes Michigan the ninth state to commit to a 100% carbon neutral economy. In the interim, the governor set a 2025 target for the state of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 28% below 1990 levels.
“The science is clear – climate change is directly impacting our public health, environment, our economy, and our families,” Gov. Whitmer said in a statement. “This dangerous reality is already causing harm throughout Michigan, with communities of color and low-income Michiganders suffering disproportionately, which is why I’m taking immediate action to protect our state. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to leave them a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Through comprehensive and aggressive steps, we will combat the climate crisis by formally setting and relentlessly pursuing a goal of statewide decarbonization by 2050. These bold actions will provide critical protections for our environment, economy, and public health, now and for years to come. It will also position Michigan to attract a new generation of clean energy and energy efficiency jobs.”
The Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) were tasked with developing and implementing the MI Climate Healthy Plan, which will serve as the action plan for reducing emissions and shifting the economy toward carbon neutrality. The Department of Technology, Management and Budget will be responsible for increasing energy efficiency and decreasing emissions from new state buildings and facilities.
- Michigan bill would open state parks for EV charging
- Lyft offsets Michigan game day-related emissions
- Utility launches 100% RE program for big businesses
- Michigan manufacturer utilizes PACE to save $1.6M
- BASF, Steelcase make industrial case for efficiency
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Research: The State of Vehicle Fleet Electrification
- The ABCs of Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs)
- How Energy Technology Reduces Consumption and Spend: Fleet Electrification
- Decarbonizing Supply Chains: Collaboration and Renewable Energy Strategies
- Sustainability Strategy: Two Ways to Decarbonize Natural Gas