Commercial, Solar - November 16, 2020
Starbucks, Gap, Bloomberg, Salesforce and others to receive power from new solar project
A 133.6 MW solar plant that will supply energy to Bloomberg, Cox Enterprises, Gap, Salesforce, Starbucks and Workday was recently completed and will be brought online this week.
The Fern Solar project was constructed in Edgecombe County, N.C., by BayWa r.e. and consists of 353,000 panels. With a capacity to generate 238 GWh of electricity annually, it is the largest BayWa r.e. project in the U.S.
The companies that will be receiving clean power from the solar project made the project possible through a VPPA facilitated by LevelTen Energy. Bloomberg, Cox Enterprises, Gap, Salesforce, and Workday formed a Corporate Renewable Energy Aggregation Group, which will purchase 42.5 MW of the plant’s installed generated capacity, while Starbucks entered into a separate VPPA for 46 MW.
“Fern Solar is our largest solar project built to date in the U.S., but it is more than a milestone renewable project -- it's a story about how companies and people can come together to move the needle forward,” Jam Attari, CEO of BayWa r.e. Solar Projects, said in a statement. “The world is rapidly transitioning to clean energy, and we'll get there faster when we innovate together.”
BayWa r.e. Secured tax equity from RBC Capital Markets and construction and permanent debt from Rabobank and Banco Sabadell.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- 7-Eleven Plans 500 New EV Chargers for North American Stores
- Ford's New Science-Based Targets Revealed
- Georgetown University Partnership Boosts Energy Efficiency, Sustainability Goals
- Netflix unveils 2022 net zero ambition
- Starbucks Commissions Community Solar Projects for New York State
- Setting Sustainability Goals and Meeting Them with Reduction Targets
- The Essential Guide to Marketing Renewable Energy Achievements
- Ohio Public Schools Partner with EDP Renewables to Go Green
- The State of Demand-Side Energy Management in North America
- How to Kick-Start the Carbon Removal Market: Shopify's Playbook