Sourcing Renewables - June 21, 2021
New Coalition Advocates for Clean Energy Tax Code Changes
A new coalition founded by Advanced Energy Economy, Ameresco, Apex Clean Energy, Brookfield Renewable Partners, Intersect Power, Third Way, and CleanCapital is advocating for changes to the tax code that support the clean energy transition.
The Partnership for Clean Energy Investment (PCEI) includes a diverse group of companies, think tanks and investors. The group is urging the adoption of guaranteed maximum private sector investment in the energy transition through a system of 100% direct pay.
Under the current system of favor, called tax equity financing, clean energy developers trade the future tax credits that they would receive -- such as the production tax credit (PTC) and investment tax credit (ITC) -- in exchange for upfront investment. Under this system, the banks involved could use the tax credits to reduce their own tax liability from regular financial activities, however, this has created a bottleneck in renewable investment.
Direct pay for clean energy tax credits could increase infrastructure investment and economic growth. This system disperses tax credit funds directly to those building clean energy projects, rather than issuing a tax credit retroactively.
The PCEI is committed to acting as an advocate for the 100% direct pay system and for legislative action to make it a reality.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Weekend Reads: Unpacking Congress' Historic Climate Bill; How Heatwaves Are Hindering Solar Power
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- Weekend Reads: Using Skyscrapers For Energy Storage; US Looks to Gulf of Mexico As Next Wind Hub
- White Paper: Drive Resiliency through your Energy Infrastructure
- How Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are Changing the Energy Industry
- The Social Impact of Renewable Energy Projects: Classrooms to Careers
- McDonald's 2021-2022 Purpose & Impact Reporting
- Destination: Net Zero – Moving the needle towards carbon neutral