GHG Emissions, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - July 14, 2021
Cox Communications Adds Onsite Solar and Battery Energy System in San Diego
Cox Communications announced on July 13 that its solar photovoltaics and battery energy storage project is now operating at its corporate office in San Diego, reducing utility costs and improving sustainability at the Federal Blvd site.
The system, built and serviced by PowerFlex - an EDF Renewables Company, is the first solar plus storage project in the country for Cox. The integrated onsite battery storage, carport and roof-top solar installation combined are projected to offset more than 374 tons of carbon each year, contributing to the more than 657,000 tons of CO2 offset since 2007 by Cox Conserves, Cox Enterprise’s national sustainability program.
“Sustainability and driving positive environmental change are core to the way Cox does business. We’re excited our largest California facility is spearheading the use of solar power and battery storage to reduce our carbon footprint in the region,” Sam Attisha, Senior Vice President at Cox Communications, said in a statement. “This solar project will generate almost 20% of the building energy usage and move us closer to our company’s sustainability goals which include becoming carbon neutral by 2034.”
Cox has long been committed to renewables, as this project is just one of more than 40 on-site solar generation projects Cox implemented across the country. In addition to the goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2034, Cox also aims to be water neutral by 2034 and achieve its zero waste to landfill goal by 2024. So far, Cox has invested nearly $140 million in more than 400 projects to get there.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Weekend Reads: Google's Vision of a Carbon-Free HQ; San Diego's RE Future
- Ahold Delhaize Commits to Net-zero Target by 2040
- 2021 Renewable Energy Market Analysis
- 2021 State of Distributed Energy Resources Study
- Leveraging New Technologies to Modernize Infrastructure and Improve Energy Efficiency in America's Cities
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings