Commercial, Solar - October 13, 2021
PPG Inks Deal with 200 MW Solar Project
Global paint manufacturer PPG announced Oct. 12 a 10-year agreement it made to power its Carrollton, Texas, facility with energy from a 200 MW solar project.
The agreement was completed with Constellation for the Big Star Solar Project currently under development in Bastrop County, Texas. PPG will receive 4.6 million kWh of energy annually from the project, as well as associated RECs.
The energy sourced from the project is expected to avoid more than 3,200 metric tons of carbon emissions annually.
The deal between Constellation and PPG follows a separate agreement between Constellation and RWE Renewables, the owner of the projects, which allows Constellation 140 MW of energy to then supply several large commercial customers. PPG will be using the Constellation Offsite Renewables (CORe) agreement, specially developed by Constellation to avoid the hurdles associated with traditional PPAs and offer project access to more customers.
“At PPG, one of our 2025 sustainability goals is to increase renewable energy to 25% of total electricity usage, exclusive of greenhouse gas reductions,” Diane Kappas, PPG vice president of Global Sustainability, said in a statement. “Our collaboration with Constellation will allow us to contribute to that goal, with the intent to expand renewable energy at other PPG locations across the U.S.”
The Big Star Solar Project is expected to achieve commercial operation by Q2 2022.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Research: The State of Vehicle Fleet Electrification
- The ABCs of Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs)
- How Energy Technology Reduces Consumption and Spend: Fleet Electrification
- Decarbonizing Supply Chains: Collaboration and Renewable Energy Strategies
- Sustainability Strategy: Two Ways to Decarbonize Natural Gas