Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - November 29, 2021
bp Plans Green Hydrogen Project in England
bp confirmed it is planning a new large-scale green hydrogen production facility in the North East of England that could deliver up to 500Mwe (megawatt electrical input) of hydrogen production by 2030.
bp is aiming to start production on the HyGreen Teesside by 2025 with an initial phase of some 60MWe of installed hydrogen production capacity. A final investment decision on the project is expected in 2023.
The company is working with industry, local administration such as Tees Valley Combined Authority and the U.K. government to increase the pace of decarbonization in transport.
bp’s blue and green hydrogen projects in Teesside, together with the proposed net zero Teesside power project, is expected to further support economic development and regeneration in Teesside.
“Low carbon hydrogen will be essential in decarbonizing hard-to-abate industrial sectors including heavy transport,” said Louise Jacobsen Plutt, bp’s senior vice president for hydrogen and CCUS in a statement. “Together HyGreen and H2Teesside can help transform Teesside into the UK’s green heart, strengthening its people, communities and businesses.”
The combined 1.5GW capacity of HyGreen Teesside and H2Teesside could deliver 30% of the UK government’s target of developing 5GW of hydrogen production by 2030.
bp announced a series of Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) with potential industrial customers for hydrogen in the Teesside area, including both existing and planned operation. bp has also recently signed an MoU with Daimler Truck to pilot both the development of hydrogen infrastructure and the introduction of hydrogen-powered fuel-cell trucks in the U.K.
HyGreen Teesside would be another step in the development bp’s hydrogen business and its first green hydrogen project in the UK. bp is pursuing proposed projects for green hydrogen production at its refineries in Rotterdam in the Netherlands, Lingen in Germany and Castellon in Spain. It has also carried out a feasibility study identifying opportunities for green hydrogen production in Western Australia and was most recently chosen as the preferred bidder to develop a green hydrogen production hub in Aberdeen.
- Marks & Spencer to Add 900 EV Charging Points Across UK
- BP to Purchase RNG
- Hertz, BP Partner to Add EV Charging Stations
- bp to Invest in UK EV Battery Research Center
- bp and Linde Work on Texas Hydrogen Project
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: Renewables Pit Google Against Utilities; Wind Power on Mars
- Weekend Reads: US emissions 2022, the good and bad news; Electricity state-by-state
- Weekend Reads: CA Scored Highest For Efficiency; How Wind Power Can Benefit Shipping Emissions
- Weekend Reads: USPS Goes Electric; The RE Revolution in America's Heartland