Solar, Sourcing Renewables - January 14, 2022
NSG Group Signs PPA for RE in Poland
NSG UK Enterprises, part of the NSG Group, signed a PPA for the renewable electricity generated by a wind farm located in Poland. This represents the first VPPA for the company and the first PPA signed by a glass manufacturer in Poland.
The agreement, signed with EDP Renewables (EDPR) calls for NSG to offtake 51% of the output from the wind farm, which has a total installed capacity of 70 MW. The PPA will have a duration of 10 years, starting in January 2022.
The contract will see approximately 100 gigawatt hours (GWh) of NSG Group’s annual electricity demand supplied at a fixed price, thereby reducing exposure to the volatile wholesale electricity prices currently seen.
NSG Group expects to source the equivalent of at least 50% of its electricity globally from renewables by fiscal year 2024. This PPA will contribute to this target and towards the NSG Group’s Science Based Target for carbon emission reduction by avoiding approximately 80,000 tons of carbon per year.
The Group aims to achieve a 2% annual reduction in carbon emissions (Scope 1 and 2) during the three-year period of the Company’s Revival Plan 24. The Group’s ambition is to achieve a 21% reduction by 2030 compared to its 2018 levels.
“We are delighted to sign our first virtual PPA with our partner EDPR for the majority of our electricity demand in Poland,” said John Wilgar, Head of Procurement at NSG Group in a statement. “This helps us to secure renewable electricity at predictable costs over the long term in a market with a highly carbon intensive grid. It is a huge step towards our sustainability objectives in support of our actions on climate change.”
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness