Commercial, GHG Emissions - February 1, 2022
Montreal Transit System Adds Fuel-Efficient Trains to Fleet
Montreal’s public transportation network will soon be adding 10 modern, fuel-efficient locomotives capable of running on biodiesel to its train fleet.
The network, known as exo, selected Siemens Mobility for the contract to design, manufacture, and commission the Charger locomotives. This will be Siemen’s second order for its Charger locomotives in Canada, a design that meets the stringent Tier 4 regulations for emissions.
In addition to low fuel consumption and running on biodiesel, the Charger model features 95% particulate matter reduction and 89% emissions reduction compared to existing Tier 0 locomotives, offering a cleaner and quieter train model.
The manufacturing contract with Siemens will also include an option for a spare parts supply agreement. Siemens has been providing solutions to Canada’s transportation industry for more than 40 years.
“We are excited to partner with exo and look forward to working with them to modernize their fleet with the latest in sustainable and intelligent rail technology. Our industry leading locomotives will offer exo and its passengers a sustainable travel option as well as a pleasant, safe and reliable travel experience,” Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, CEO of Siemens Mobility in Canada, said in a statement. “This important project further builds on our work to help Canadian cities upgrade their public transportation infrastructures to meet the growing demand for transportation, and do so in a modern, safe and sustainable way.”
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward