Sourcing Renewables, Wind - February 4, 2022
Charles River Laboratories Signs Wind VPPA in Spain
Charles River Laboratories International, Inc. announced it has entered into a VPPA for 35 MW of wind energy in Spain. This agreement will address the company’s European power requirement of 100% renewable energy by 2023.
The VPPA was signed with Repsol as part of the energy company’s Delta II project that has already begun construction. Once it is completed in 2023 it will have a total capacity of 860 MW distributed among 26 wind farms located in the Spanish region of Aragon.
This VPPA is the second of Charles River’s recent announcements related to renewable electricity. In June 2021, Charles River announced a solar contract to address the entirety of its North American electric power requirements. That project is also on track to begin providing Charles River with renewable energy benefits by 2023. As a result of the two VPPAs, Charles River anticipates that 90% of all its global electricity will be supplied by renewable energy by 2023.
“Charles River has continued to drive down our Scope 1 and 2 GHG reductions toward our goal of a 50% reduction on an absolute basis by 2030, achieving a 26% reduction from 2018 to 2020. This European VPPA will move us significantly closer to meeting our overall goal of a 50% reduction by 2030,” said Gregg Belardo, Senior Director of EHS & Sustainability at Charles River, in a statement.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward