Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - February 4, 2022
Madison Gas and Electric Sets 2030 Net Zero Goal
Madison Gas and Electric (MGE) is committing to reducing carbon by at least 80% by 2030 as it works toward achieving net zero carbon electricity by 2050.
MGE had originally set a goal that was announced in 2015 of 40% carbon reduction by 2030. Since then the company said it fully expects to achieve carbon reductions of at least 65% by 2030.
"In 2019, MGE was one of the first utilities in the nation to commit to net-zero carbon by 2050. Since announcing our carbon reduction goals, we have said that if we can move further faster by working with our customers, we will," said MGE CEO Jeff Keebler in a statement. "We're committed to doing everything we can do today to advance our deep decarbonization strategies as quickly and as cost-effectively as we can while maintaining our top-ranked electric reliability and our responsibility to those we serve."
The company continues its transition away from coal-fired generation and in 2021 announced the planned early retirement of the Columbia Energy Center by 2025. MGE is a minority owner of Columbia, which currently provides MGE with about 200 MW of capacity. Columbia provides MGE customers with about one-third of their energy use.
MGE also plans to purchase 25 MW with an option to purchase an additional 25 MW from the West Riverside Energy Center, a new efficient gas plant is expected to produce about 10% of the emissions of MGE's share of the Columbia plant.
MGE expects to substantially reduce its use of coal by 2030 and to have no ownership of coal-fired generation by 2035.
- Madison Gas and Electric Updates Emission Goals
- Madison plans 8 MW solar array to power municipal operations
- Dane County Airport to receive 9 MW solar project
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- Lumentum Decreases Emissions by 25%, Doubles RE Use
- CalPERS Establishes $100 Billion Net Zero Pledge
- BACARDÍ Rum Aims to Lower Emissions by 50% in Puerto Rico
- Volvo Seeks to Lower Each Car's Emissions by 75%
- Weekend Reads: 10 Myths About the Energy Transition; Tackling Health Care's Carbon Footprint