Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - February 7, 2022
Solar for SMUD, City of Santa Clara Begins Operation
PPAs signed by Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) and the City of Santa Clara are now being fulfilled with the operation of Aquamarine, a 250 MW project within the Westlands Solar Park (WSP), located in the San Joaquin Valley.
SMUD will receive renewable energy credits associated with 75 MW of capacity from Aquamarine, which will also provide 50 MW to the Clean Energy Alliance. The City of Santa Clara, CA (Silicon Valley Power) will receive RECs associated with 75 MW of capacity.
The 20,000-acre WSP was developed for multiple projects to meet the needs of public and private utilities, businesses, and other energy consumers. CIM Group is currently negotiating additional PPAs with other potential counterparties for Aquamarine and future projects within WSP and anticipates commencing construction of additional solar projects within WSP in 2022.
Aquamarine is the first utility-scale solar project within WSP. Construction of Aquamarine began in 2020 and concluded in December 2021 and began contributing renewable energy to the California grid. WSP is one of the largest permitted solar parks in the U.S. with the capacity to grow to more than 2,700 MW of renewable energy at full buildout and with the potential to provide clean energy to more than 1.2 million homes.
“California is blazing a path forward toward 100 percent carbon-free energy generation by 2045,” said California Natural Resources Agency Secretary Wade Crowfoot in a statement. “Aquamarine and the next projects will help us get there.”
WSP completed and certified programmatic environmental impact reports for the entire project, positioning it to permit and move forward on additional projects within WSP. In addition, WSP is one of the few renewable energy zones identified as a Competitive Renewable Energy Zone (CREZ) through the Renewable Energy Transmission Initiative (RETI) process.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness