Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - February 18, 2022
White House Allocates Funds for Clean Hydrogen
The Biden-Harris Administration announced the launch of major clean hydrogen initiatives of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to reduce climate pollution from industrial facilities, while growing the economy and creating jobs in producing clean materials.
The initiatives will make the following investments though the Department of Energy:
- $8 billion for Regional Clean Hydrogen Hub. The DOE will support development of networks of clean hydrogen producers, potential consumers, and connective infrastructure. These regional hubs will advance the production, processing, delivery, storage, and end-use of clean hydrogen, including innovative uses in the industrial sector.
- $1 billion for a Clean Hydrogen Electrolysis Program to reduce costs of hydrogen produced from clean electricity. Electrolysis (using electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen) allows for clean hydrogen production from carbon pollution-free power sources like wind, solar, and nuclear.
- $500 million for Clean Hydrogen Manufacturing and Recycling Initiatives to support equipment manufacturing and strong domestic supply chains. The DOE will also support American manufacturing of clean hydrogen equipment, including projects that improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness and support domestic supply chains for key components, through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law’s Clean Hydrogen Manufacturing Initiative.
Last week the DOE announced $28 million for R&D and front-end engineering design projects to advance clean hydrogen in industrial uses, as well as the transportation and electricity sectors.
The announcement also detailed new actions to support clean manufacturing, including low-carbon production of the steel and aluminum needed for EVs, wind turbines and solar panels, and the clean concrete to upgrade the transportation infrastructure.
Read These Related Articles:
- White House Proposes New Vehicle Standards to Lower Emissions
- DOE Provides $6 Billion To Reduce Industrial Emissions
- White House Provides Funding For Clean Hydrogen Technologies
- White House Proposal to Protect Supply Chain from Climate-Related Risks
- White House Launches Net-Zero Game Changers Initiative
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Aptar Updates Emissions Reduction Goals
- Salesforce Starts ‘Green Code’ Initiative For Lower Carbon Footprint
- Weekend Reads: Green Subsidy Race; Renewable Generation Surpasses Coal and Nuclear
- Microsoft to Use Power From Fusion Plant
- Amazon Signs PPAs for Global Wind and Solar
- Boeing Launches Cascade to Support Aviation's Net Zero Goal