Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - March 8, 2022
Akamai Technologies Updates 2030 Goals
Akamai Technologies, Inc. announced an update to its five sustainable goals that are expected to be reached by 2030: 100% renewably sourced energy; 50% more energy-efficient platform; 100% platform emissions mitigation; responsible supply chain management and global expansion of 100% e-waste recycling.
The company detailed its progress of the five goals in its Sustainability Report for 2021.
"In the past two years, the internet has become a critical lifeline for us all, powering the way we work, live, transact, learn, and play. However, this necessary tool accounts for a significant portion of global electricity demand,” said Nicole Fitzpatrick, deputy general counsel and chief ESG officer in a statement. “Akamai is dedicated to reducing the internet's carbon footprint and last year, announced high reaching goals to do so. We are pleased to report that we have made meaningful progress over the past year and continue to move forward."
The company’s plans include the following:
- 100% Renewably-sourced Energy
In 2021, to make further progress against this goal, Akamai entered into a fourth renewable energy project, the Enel Green Power Azure Sky wind project located in northern Texas. The new project is slated to come online in 2022. The other three existing renewable energy projects: a wind farm in Texas, a solar array in Virginia, and a wind farm in Illinois.
- 50% More Energy-Efficient Platform
The company’s 2030 goal is to increase its Akamai Intelligent Edge Platform platform efficiency by 50%, as measured against its 2020 baseline. Since announcing its 2030 goals during 2021 Akamai has made its network 28% more power efficient per unit of platform capacity, despite increases of 60%.
- 100% Platform Emissions Mitigation
Akamai’s goal is to mitigate 100% of its platform GHG emissions by 2030. Akamai continues to work with data center partners on renewable energy procurement best practices.
- Responsible Supply Chain Management
In 2021, Akamai evolved its supply chain program with the launch of a Responsible Supply Chain Program (RSCP) to realize supply chain goals, including a focus on environmental sustainability.
- Global Expansion of 100% Electronic Waste Recycling Program
In 2021, Akamai continued to recycle 100% of its e-waste in accordance with these standards and began the process of identifying certified recycling facilities located closer to the points of e-waste, in accordance with its stated public goals in this area.
- Akamai Technologies reduced emissions in spite of growth
- New legislation can help Massachusetts build back a stronger, more equitable economy
- Tech giants join to demand increased RE, storage from Dominion
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- Lumentum Decreases Emissions by 25%, Doubles RE Use
- BACARDÍ Rum Aims to Lower Emissions by 50% in Puerto Rico
- CalPERS Establishes $100 Billion Net Zero Pledge
- Weekend Reads: 10 Myths About the Energy Transition; Tackling Health Care's Carbon Footprint
- US Steel Explores Expansion of Low-Carbon Products