Distributed Energy Resources - April 5, 2022
Maersk Adds Electric Trucks in California
A.P. Moller-Maersk (Maersk) announced the order for 110 additional Volvo VNR Electric Class 8 trucks, increasing its total commitment to 126 trucks.
The trucks will be delivered by the end of Q1 2023 to support increased demand from customers for tangible actions on sustainable supply chains.
Maersk expects to deploy 450 electric trucks in North America from various manufacturers in 2022-2023. The Volvo Electric trucks will be used in Southern California for short-haul warehouse and distribution center operations. Electric charging infrastructure for Performance Team- A Maersk Company’s Santa Fe Springs, California facility will be installed in April-May 2022 and operational in June 2022.
“Our customers are looking for tangible actions on sustainable supply chains - not just conceptual,” said Vincent Clerc, CEO of Ocean & Logistics at A.P. Moller – Maersk, in a statement. “With this in mind we move decisively towards building an end-to-end, landside decarbonization offering for our customers – in line with our target to extend Maersk net-zero efforts to all transport modes in our global operation. These investments in our North America network will generate valuable experience for the continued journey towards similar customer offerings across the globe.”
The new order builds on the August 2021 order of 16 Volvo VNR Electric trucks as part of Maersk’s Environment Social Governance (ESG) strategy to decarbonize logistics. The strategy is a key driver for zero carbon operations in trucking and an important part of Maersk’s goal of enterprise-wide, carbon neutral operations by 2040 with significant steps to be taken by 2030.
Maersk North America’s long-term goal is to move toward a fully electric trucking fleet to offer customers an environmentally-friendly alternative for short-haul trucking.
- Inditex to Reduce Maritime Transport Emissions with Maersk
- Maersk, SAP Among Companies Joining Climate Pledge
- Maersk, Proman Sign Agreement on Green Methanol Supply
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- Lumentum Decreases Emissions by 25%, Doubles RE Use
- BACARDÍ Rum Aims to Lower Emissions by 50% in Puerto Rico
- CalPERS Establishes $100 Billion Net Zero Pledge
- Weekend Reads: 10 Myths About the Energy Transition; Tackling Health Care's Carbon Footprint
- US Steel Explores Expansion of Low-Carbon Products