Industrial, Sourcing Renewables - May 20, 2022
Alcoa Signs PPA for RE in Spain
Alcoa Corporation signed a contract for renewable energy to support the planned restart in 2024 of aluminum smelting at the San Ciprián smelter in Spain.
The long-term PPA is with Greenalia, an independent renewable energy developer and producer. Subject to windfarm permitting processes, the agreement would commence in 2024 and extend to the end of 2033.
Due to exorbitant energy prices, Alcoa announced in December of 2021 a two-year curtailment of aluminum smelting at the site. During the curtailment, Alcoa is working to secure PPAs and make improvements to prepare the smelter for the planned restart to begin in January of 2024.
“This power contract is a very important step for the long-term viability of San Ciprián,” said Álvaro Dorado Baselga, Vice President Global Energy in Alcoa and President of Alcoa in Spain in a statement. “We are working to fulfill our commitments to the workers’ representatives, and the support of government in the development of the necessary energy framework remains vital.”
The agreement is expected to provide up to 183 megawatts of the smelter’s baseload power consumption, representing approximately 45% of the energy required to meet the smelter’s maximum capacity of 228,000 metric tons per year. The contract’s pricing terms are confidential. Alcoa is continuing to pursue options for the remaining 55% of the smelter’s electricity requirements.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: Renewables Pit Google Against Utilities; Wind Power on Mars
- Weekend Reads: US emissions 2022, the good and bad news; Electricity state-by-state
- Weekend Reads: CA Scored Highest For Efficiency; How Wind Power Can Benefit Shipping Emissions
- Weekend Reads: USPS Goes Electric; The RE Revolution in America's Heartland