Solar, Sourcing Renewables - July 8, 2022
White Plains Adds Solar
The City of White Plains, New York completed the construction of a nine-site, 6.8 MW community solar portfolio.
The portfolio is expected to generate 8,100 MWh of energy annually, tripling the amount of solar energy produced in Westchester County and enough to power more than 700 homes each year. The New York Power Authority (NYPA) was the city’s energy advisor for the project and construction was completed by DSD Renewables (DSD).
The portfolio consists of canopy, rooftop, and ground-mount installations at four parking garages, Gillie Park, the Ebersole Ice Rink, Gedney Way Recycling Facility, Water Storage Site and the Sanitation Complex. Energy storage systems totaling 1.76 MW/8 MWh were also installed at the Recycling Facility and the Shapham Place parking garage.
“The City partnered with New York Power Authority (NYPA) and Distributed Solar Development (DSD) to create a successful 6.8 MW community solar portfolio that will not only benefit residents today, but future generations,” White Plains Mayor Thomas Roach said in a statement. Public-private partnerships will drive the proliferation of clean-energy projects through New York State creating a robust renewable energy market.”
The projects incorporated several infrastructure improvements, such as a new roof for the Ebersole Ice Rink and an innovative enclosed solar canopy storage area for the water department, which avoided significant capital spending by the city. The canopies across many sites feature a proprietary integrated water management system that manages water from rain and snow melt.
At the Gedney Way Recycling Facility, DSD’s canopy team designed a floating foundation canopy mounted on a landfill cap. Additionally, two canopy systems at the site incorporate sidewalls to store and protect city equipment.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Smart Energy Decisions Announces 2023 WISE Award Winners
- Weekend Reads: US emissions 2022, the good and bad news; Electricity state-by-state
- Weekend Reads: Wind vs. Solar; China Dominates Battery Market
- Microsoft Partners to Power Solar Energy
- Smart Energy Decisions Welcomes New Advisory Board Members
- Verizon Enters Into Four REPAs
- Destination: Net Zero – Moving the needle towards carbon neutral
- Sustainable Energy in America Factbook 2023 - Executive Summary
- The 2022 State of Vehicle Fleet Electrification
- GHG Emissions Reduction Audit: A Checklist for Owners
- Case Study: IBM and Lendlease Leverage Green Leasing as Tenants to Achieve Net-Zero